Your braces have been removed and your teeth are straight and beautiful! Let’s KEEP them that way! Once your braces are removed, Dr. Bret will create custom retainers for you to wear. Wearing retainers is one of the most important phases of your orthodontic treatment. Your teeth have a tendency to want to move back to their original positions after your braces are removed. To prevent this from happening, retainers must be worn as prescribed!
How Long Do I Need to Wear Them?
Retention is for LIFE! Once your braces are removed we recommend you wear your retainer full time for two months. Following that, we recommend you wear retainers every night…for LIFE! Your retainers are your insurance policy to protect the investment you just made in your smile. So… Wear your retainers, smile bright and smile long!
Caring for Your Retainers
It’s important to keep your retainers clean. When you take them out in the morning, brush them carefully with your toothbrush, toothpaste or soap as directed to remove any plaque. If plaque deposits build up on your retainer, “Efferdent” makes a retainer cleaner, which is available in most stores. When your retainers are not in your mouth, please keep them IN THIER CASE! All too often we hear about pets destroying retainers or patients accidentaly throwing them away on their cafeteria trays. Putting them in their case will help keep them safe.
A well-fitting retainer is key to maintaining your smile, please bring your retainers with you to all appointments once your braces are removed. We will be happy to check them to ensure they are fitting properly.
Here are some other tips for caring for your retainers:
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
If you have any issues with your retainer not fitting correctly, please call our office at (509) 466-2666.